From August 20-21, the 6th World Forum of Ukrainians took place in Kyiv, attended by delegates from 35 countries representing Ukrainian communities outside Ukraine. The forum was also attended by representatives of over 20 Ukrainian NGOs operating in Ukraine. In particular, the forum was attended by a Crimean delegation of Ukrainians, who were forced to leave their homes after occupying the Russian peninsula.
During the forum, Crimeans appealed to the Ukrainian community worldwide to support their draft resolution, which included the need to strengthen sanctions against the occupying country, recognizing that Russia’s actions threatened the occurrence of World War III, and therefore international institutions, The EU, the US and other countries of the world should unite around Ukraine.
“We are waiting for the support of the world community for the draft of our Decree, because we have many problems on the occupied peninsula: the rights of Ukrainians, Crimean Tatars are ignored, many of us have political prisoners in Crimea and the Russian Federation. We hope that the global community of Ukrainians will put pressure on the governments of the countries in which they live, as it is necessary for sanctions to be extended to deny Russia membership in the UN, to condemn aggression, as the fate of not only Ukraine is being decided. Ukraine defends the whole world today with the lives of its people, if Ukraine falls, Poland, Slovakia tomorrow, and then Europe falls, ”said a representative of the Crimean delegation, scientist and public figure Petro Volwach, expressing the hopes of the Crimean delegation that they will be heard.
Crimeans also appealed to the Ukrainian authorities demanding to protect the citizens of Ukraine who were forced to leave their homes, as well as to protect those who remained in the Crimea and suffer from the arbitrariness of the occupying power. In particular, Petro Volvach called on the Ukrainian authorities to do everything possible to release and return Crimean journalist Mykola Semena, who is under investigation, to mainland Ukraine.
Draft Decree of the VI World Forum of Ukrainians on the efforts of Ukraine, world Ukrainian and international community on the occupation and reintegration of Crimea
- Recognize the international community that Russia’s actions threaten the outbreak of World War III, and take systematic measures to limit its impact on the international arena, suspend its access to military and dual-use technologies until its foreign and domestic policy changes dramatically;
- To strengthen international sanctions against Russia for illegal occupation of Crimea, to unite them with sanctions for aggression in Donetsk and Luhansk regions, and in particular to impose an oil trade embargo with Russia and remove it from the SWIFT system until all aggression against Ukraine is stopped, occupied territories and payment of compensation for losses incurred by the Ukrainian side;
- The United Nations, in order to achieve the goals stated in the Charter of this Organization, to strengthen international peace and security, to deprive Russia of the right to vote in the Security Council when considering issues related to aggression against Ukraine and other States;
- US, UK and PRC, as the guarantor states of the territorial integrity of Ukraine, join the negotiation process of Ukraine with Russia in order to stop the aggressor and the occupation of Crimea, the whole territory of Donetsk and Lugansk regions, to provide the Ukrainian side with lethal weapons;
- The European Union, its states and peoples, condemn those European politicians who visit the temporarily occupied territories for the money of the aggressor state, and then cynically condemn violations of international law by Russia, as well as actions by individual political forces and self-government bodies that call for to recognize the annexation of Ukrainian territories. There is a need to establish a permanent monitoring commission;
- The United Nations, the Council of Europe, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe and other international organizations, States to take measures to end the widespread violation of human and citizen rights, the rights of the indigenous Crimean Tatar people and the community of ethnic Ukrainians and to keep the situation in this area under constant control until the moment of occupation;
- To explain to the Ukrainian world in the countries of residence the importance of maintaining security on the planet and countering the aggressor state – the Russian Federation.
- The authorities of Ukraine to develop the Crimean occupation strategy;
- To cancel to the President of Ukraine and the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine the Law of Ukraine “On Creation of a Free Economic Zone” Crimea “and on the Specific Features of Economic Activity in the Occupied Occupied Territory of Ukraine”; Abolish the status of non-residents for Crimeans;
- Of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to create a center for providing administrative services for Crimean-citizens of Ukraine directly on the administrative border of the Kherson region and the temporarily occupied territory, to make the procedure of entry-exit to this territory as convenient and transparent as possible, in particular, to immediately simplify and reprimand practice of beatings;
- To provide to the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine organizational support and finance the holding of the Second Ukrainian (XIII All-Crimean) competition of student and student youth “Let’s fight for a new life!” Dedicated to Les Ukrainians;
- Ministry of Culture of Ukraine to increase funding for the State Enterprise Crimean House in order to expand its capacity to undertake activities aimed at supporting all ethnic communities in Crimea, including Ukrainians;
- NAS of Ukraine and the Institute of Ukrainian Studies of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine in the conditions of the occupier’s attempts to legitimize the occupation with quasi-historical arguments to prepare an academic publication of the history of Crimea and history of the Ukrainian community of the peninsula;
- The Prosecutor’s Office of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea to conduct a criminal investigation into the destruction of seven Ukrainian-language schools and over five hundred Ukrainian-language classes on the peninsula against the former Minister of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, Natalia Goncharova;
- Of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine to provide financing in the budget of the country for 2017 on implementation of the Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Some Laws of Ukraine on State Support of Participants of Fighting and Their Children, One of Their Parents Killed in the Area of Anti-Terrorist operations, hostilities or armed conflicts, or during mass protests, children registered as internally displaced persons for vocational and higher education ”;
- To the President of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to resolve the issue of transfer of leased property by the Crimean Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate in the city of Simferopol for the realization of church services in the ownership of the Kiev Patriarchate.
- To provide the Ministry of Information Policy of Ukraine and the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine with financial and information support for the restoration and development of the state-run Ukrainian-language newspaper Crimean Svitlytsia.
- Of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to ensure implementation of the Law of Ukraine “On Ensuring the Rights and Freedoms of Internally Displaced Persons”. To recognize the unsatisfactory work of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on the implementation of the Comprehensive State Program on Support, Social Adaptation and Reintegration of Ukrainian Citizens who Migrated from the Temporarily Occupied Territory of Ukraine and the Areas of Anti-Terrorist Operation to Other Regions of Ukraine for 2015-2016 according to the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Provide financing for the 2017 Comprehensive State Program for Support and Social Adaptation of Internally Displaced Persons for 2017.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine appeals to international courts to review the decisions of the highest judicial bodies of the Russian Federation, which imprison the illegally sentenced Ukrainians of Crimea and exercise political order over the Kremlin. Demand immediate release of Ukrainian citizens.